Re: No TNSListner service after intall 8.1.7 on Win 2k

From: Babette Turner-Underwood <babattt_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:35:22 -0700

As everyone in this thread seems so
knowledgeable
about NT, I would like to digress and ask a related question.

When I use oradim to create a service,
oradim -new -sid MINE -pfile c:\mine\initMINE.ora ....

The service is created, the instance is started!!
BUT, when I use svrmgrl to shutdown the instance
and then try to start it up, it complains because the
init file does not exist in
%ORACLE_HOME%\pfile

BUT the oradim DID create the entry:
ORA_MINE_PFILE = c:\mine\initMINE.ora

So what is this registry entry used
for?
And why do I need to place the init.or
under
%ORACLE_HOME%\pfile

Thanks
Babette
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

  Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 3:45
  PM
  Subject: RE: No TNSListner service after   intall 8.1.7 on Win 2k

  <SPAN
  class=232022918-16082001>Rick,
  <SPAN
  class=232022918-16082001>
  think Networking services means TNSNAMES/SQLNET.ORA stuff (like a client   install).
  <SPAN
  class=232022918-16082001>
  You
  could do a custom install (I think) and just install TNS Listener, and not the   starter database.

  Tom Mercadante <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>Oracle Certified Professional

<FONT face=Tahoma

    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Cale, Rick T (Richard)     [mailto:RICHARD.T.CALE_at_saic.com]Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001     3:14 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list     ORACLE-LSubject: RE: No TNSListner service after intall 8.1.7 on     Win 2k
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>Ok, I am g<FONT
    face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>etting a little closer to figuring out what     is going on. I did mis-state the type of install I did first. It was minimal     installation without the starter
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>database. This did NOT create a listener service. However it clearly     states it would install networking services.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>
    did a 2nd TYPICAL install and it did create a tnslistener     service.
    As
    soon as I get time/ambition/curiousity I will do a 3rd install WITH starter     database to see it that will create a listener service.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>
    really do not want a starter database installed to get a tnslistener service     but I could always delete it if I do not want     it(Kldugy)!!!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

    size=2>Rick

      <FONT face=Tahoma
      size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa
      [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: Thursday, August 16,
      2001 1:28 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LSubject: RE: No TNSListner service after intall 8.1.7
      on Win 2k
      Hi Rick,
      I ran into this as well.  I
      figured I didn't need a listener on my w2k box because everything was
      going to be local.  However I couldn't connect via sqlplus gui
      without a listener (no listener error - maybe because I am specifying the
      sid).  I guess it's just another difference between Oracle on windows
      and Oracle on Unix.
      If I remember right (it's been
      soooo long) when you connect in Unix with the $ORACLE_SID as part of your
      env, you can do so without @. If you do it with the @, it looks for a
      listener.   When connecting via a windows gui, you are
      specifying the sid.  I'm guessing it's doing something similar to the
      @ in the background.  The cmd window connects without the @ because
      it's in the environment.
      By the way, how do you display an
      environment variable in Windows?  I thought it was echo %ORACLE_SID%,
      but that doesn't work.  Anyone?
      Again I may be pre-coffee.
      Lisa Koivu <FONT
      face=Batang>Oracle Database Administrator <FONT
      face=Batang>Fairfield Resorts, Inc. <FONT
      face=Batang>954-935-4117