RE: No TNSListner service after install 8.1.7 on Win 2k

From: <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:58:53 -0700

I'll give this a whack though I suspect that there are people who could do a better job.

The Windows registry is the conceptual equivalent of the UNIX environmental variables.

ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, etc can be found under HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle.

You can change these using REGEDIT; however, make a backup of the registry before you change anything (REGEDIT has that capability). If you make enough of a hash of the registry you can end up with an un-bootable machine, so be careful.

ORADIM can create the services for LISTENER and the database. It can also create the database.

I'm not sure why you would want a listener on a machine where you don't have a database?

Windows Services are a pain to remove. You have to find them in the registry and delete the entry. It's easier to go the Services under Windows Control Panel and set them for Manual startup. They add a little bit of bulk to the registry but consume no other resources.

Anyone have anything else to add or correct?

                    "Cale, Rick T

                    (Richard)"             To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L
                    <RICHARD.T.CALE        <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

                    @saic.com>             cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     RE: No TNSListner service
after
                    root_at_fatcity.co        intall 8.1.7 on Win 2k

                    08/16/2001

                    03:13 PM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Ok, I am getting a little closer to figuring out what is going on. I did mis-state the type of install I did first. It was minimal installation without the starter
database. This did NOT create a listener service. However it clearly states it would install networking services.

I did a 2nd TYPICAL install and it did create a tnslistener service. As soon as I get time/ambition/curiousity I will do a 3rd install WITH starter database to see it that will create a listener service.

I really do not want a starter database installed to get a tnslistener service but I could always delete it if I do not want it(Kldugy)!!!

Rick
   Author: Cale, Rick T (Richard)
     INET: RICHARD.T.CALE_at_saic.com

   Fat City Network Services    --  (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
   San Diego, California        --  Public Internet access / Mailing Lists

   to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in    the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L    (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may    also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
  INET: tday6_at_csc.com