Re: No TNSListner service after intall 8.1.7 on Win 2k

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:23:11 -0700

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com wrote:

> I ran into this as well. I figured I didn't need a listener on
> my w2k box because everything was going to be local.
>
> However I couldn't connect via sqlplus gui without a listener
> (no listener error - maybe because I am specifying the sid).

I just stopped the listener on my win2k box running 8.1.7. From a shell prompt, I could connect with only "sqlplus user/pass"

I then was able to connect to SQLPlus worksheet without specifying the service as well.

I also didn't have the environmental variable, ORACLE_HOME, set in my environment.

> If I remember right (it's been soooo long) when you connect in
> Unix with the
>$ORACLE_SID as part of your env, you can do so without @.
>
>If you $do it with the @, it looks for a listener.

You don't need it if you are on the server, or, I guess, if there are two instances running on the server you are on.

If you are connecting from a client, you always need a listener running.

>When connecting via a windows gui, you are specifying the sid.

This isn't always the case.

>I'm guessing it's doing something similar to the @ in the
>background. The cmd window connects without the @ because it's
>in the environment.

Mine didn't need it as stated above.

> By the way, how do you display an environment variable in
> Windows? I thought it was echo %ORACLE_SID%, but that doesn't
> work. Anyone?

That _is_ how you do it. I even tried to echo %ORACLE_SID% and %ORACLE_SID% was echoed back, and I thought it might have to do with the '_', so I created a dummy environmental variable, TEST_VAR = "hello_there", and it was echoed bach when I entered, "echo %TEST_VAR%"

Author: Galen Boyer
  INET: galenboyer_at_hotpop.com