Re: OT: cryptography speech

From: <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:14:40 -0700

Yup. VM/CMS on IBM mainframes would do the same.

                    Scott Canaan

                    <srcdco_at_ritvax.is        To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L
                    c.rit.edu>               <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

                    Sent by:                 cc:

                    root_at_fatcity.com         Subject:     Re: OT: cryptography speech

                    08/16/2001 02:33

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

When I was in college, we had a Pascal compiler that would insert code for you. If you left off a semi-colon (the most common mistake), the compiler would issue a warning stating "Missing semi-colon, assumed" and go on its way. This was on a DEC VAX/VMS system in the late 1980's (1985 - 1988).

Guy Hammond wrote:

> Very dangerous. Like, Captain Kirk might say, "Mr. Spock, cancel the
> self destruct sequence" so Mr. Spock goes to his SQL*Plus terminal and
> types:
>
> SQL> ALTER STARSHIP SET AUTODESTRUCT
>
> But at that moment, Dr McCoy walks in, slips in a puddle of Romulan Ale
> and grabs Mr. Spock for support, whose finger slips on to the ENTER key.
> The Enterprise replies:
>
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-435334: keyword not found where expected, substituting ON to
> continue...
>
> :0)

Scott Canaan (srcdco_at_rit.edu)
(716) 475-7886
"Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into
it" - Tom Lehrer

Author: Scott Canaan
  INET: srcdco_at_ritvax.isc.rit.edu

  INET: tday6_at_csc.com