RE: Speed up Truncate tables - rebuild index

From: Grabowy, Chris <cgrabowy_at_fcg.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:04:20 -0700

Yes,
the point of my message was simply a quick reminder to rebuild the indexes on a table that has been ALTER TABLE...MOVE moved.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
havent tested this, but I believe Lisa is right, in part, if the table is truncated, then moved, then why bother rebuilding the indexes?  The table is empty.  There are no ROWIDS in the index to worry about.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
So
sorry, I wasnt following the thread, so again it was just a quick reply...glad it's Friday....errr....never mind....where did I hide that darn bottle?

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa   [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001   1:21 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   RE: Speed up Truncate tables - rebuild index   Ahhh... Thank you.  Pre-coffee
  over here.
  LK

    -----Original Message----- <FONT
    face=Arial size=1>From:   Igor
    Neyman [SMTP:ineyman_at_perceptron.com] <FONT face=Arial     size=1>Sent:   Thursday, August
    16, 2001 12:58 PM <FONT face=Arial

    size=1>To:     <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT face=Arial
    size=1>Subject:        <FONT
    face=Arial size=1>Re: Speed up Truncate tables - rebuild index
    Lisa,
    I think Chris referred to 'alter table ...     move', in which case you need to rebuild     indexes (ROWIDs changed).
    Igor Neyman, OCP DBAPerceptron,
    Inc.(734)414-4627<FONT face=Arial
    color=#0000ff>ineyman_at_perceptron.com <<A     href="mailto:ineyman_at_perceptron.com">mailto:ineyman_at_perceptron.com><FONT     face=Arial>
        -----Original
        Message-----From:<FONT
        face=Tahoma size=2> Mercadante, Thomas F [ <FONT
        face=Tahoma color=#0000ff size=2><<A
        href="mailto:NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us">mailto:NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us><FONT
        face=Tahoma size=2>]<FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>Sent: Wednesday, August 15,
        2001 4:35 PMTo:<FONT
        face=Tahoma size=2> Multiple recipients of list
        ORACLE-LSubject:<FONT
        face=Tahoma size=2> RE: Speed up Truncate tables<FONT
        face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Cool!  I just tried it - works like
        a charm!
        Tom Mercadante<FONT face=Arial
        size=2>Oracle Certified Professional

          -----Original
          Message-----<FONT face=Tahoma
          size=2>From:
          Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com [ <FONT face=Tahoma
          color=#0000ff size=2><<A
          href="mailto:Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com">mailto:Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com><FONT
          face=Tahoma size=2>]<FONT face=Tahoma
          size=2>Sent: Wednesday, August 15,
          2001 4:02 PMTo:<FONT
          face=Tahoma size=2> Multiple recipients of list
          ORACLE-L<FONT face=Tahoma
          size=2>Subject: RE: Speed up
          Truncate tables
          Not true, at least in 8i. Using 'alter
          table move ' you could change the initial extent
          size..SQL>alter table
          test move storage (initial 2M);<FONT face=sans-serif
          size=2>Table altered.Only
          catch here is that 'move' command doesn't apply to tables having long
          ,long raw, LOB etc..Initial extent can be changed for the remaining
          tables..ThanksRiyaj
          "Re-yas" ShamsudeenCertified Oracle DBAi2 technologies
          www.i2.com
      <FONT
      face=Arial>       <FONT
      face=Arial> Christopher Spence
      <cspence_at_FuelSpot.com><FONT face=sans-serif
      size=1>Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
      08/15/01 02:22 PM<FONT
      face=sans-serif size=1>Please respond to ORACLE-L
             <FONT
      face=sans-serif size=1>        To:
         Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
      <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
            cc:        <FONT
      face=sans-serif size=1>        Subject:
         RE: Speed up Truncate tables<FONT
      face=Arial>

          You are correct, unless your using
          9i, you cannot alter the initial extentwithout dropping the
          table."Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in
          their shoes, that waywhen you criticize them, you are a mile a way
          and have their shoes."Christopher R. SpenceOracle
          DBAPhone: (978) 322-5744Fax:    (707)
          885-2275Fuelspot73 Princeton StreetNorth, Chelmsford
          01863-----Original Message-----Sent:
          Wednesday, August 15, 2001 3:07 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
          ORACLE-LThomas,are your sure you can change the
          initial extent?  My senior dba told me onceit is not
          possible; you have to drop and recreate table if there is a needto
          change Initial extent. I am going to play with it
          today.-----Original Message-----Sent: Wednesday, August
          15, 2001 1:27 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
          ORACLE-LChuan,Kevin is correct.  If your
          truncate table is taking a *long* time (and thetable is not locked
          by another process), it's because your storage paramsare incorrect
          for the amount of data you are holding.Look at initial and
          for the table in question, and modify them before youload the
          data. You can modify the INITIAL extent by issuing an 'alter
          tableallocate extent(size x)' command to grow the INITIAL extent.
           You can also modify the NEXT extent by issuing an 'alter
          table storage (nextx)' command to change the NEXT
          extent.hope this helps.Tom MercadanteOracle
          Certified Professional-----Original Message-----Sent:
          Wednesday, August 15, 2001 11:02 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list
          ORACLE-LI had the same problem when truncating a huge
          table (24 Mill rows).   Itturned out that the reason my table
          was taking so long was the amount ofextents I had on it.  I
          could look at what was actually happening during atruncate and it
          had to go and take each individual block and put them backin the
          available lists.  Well, after changing the settings on
          the table to make larger extents (andtherefore fewer) the
          truncates on that table went hundreds of times faster(we had real
          bad settings on that table before).You might investigate your
          storage parms and see just how many extents youdo have on that
          table.-----Original Message-----Sent: Wednesday, August
          15, 2001 3:10 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list
          ORACLE-LHi All,   Is there any way to
          speed up the truncating a big table with 12
          millionrows?Basically, I implemented truncating that big
          table on Production, but itaffected the performance much, so I had
          to stop it in the middle of way. Allthe rows were truncated but
          the HWM was not shrunk at all. I want to do itagain to get the
          space back. Is there any way to speed up this
          process?Platform: Oracle EE8.0.6 and Solaris 2.7Thanks
          a lot in advance.Chuan--Please see the official
          ORACLE-L FAQ: <FONT face="Courier New" color=#0000ff
          size=2><<A target=_blank
          href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com><FONT
          face="Courier New" size=2>--Author: Chuan Zhang INET:
          chuan_at_asiaonline.netFat City Network Services    --
          (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California
                 -- Public Internet access / Mailing
          Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To
          REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto:
          ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
          themessage BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the
          name ofmailing list you want to be removed from).  You may
          also send the HELPcommand for other information (like
          subscribing).--Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
          <<A target=_blank
          href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com><FONT
          face="Courier New" size=2>--Author: Kevin Lange INET:
          kgel_at_ppoone.comFat City Network Services    -- (858)
          538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California
               -- Public Internet access / Mailing
          Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To
          REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto:
          ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
          themessage BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the
          name ofmailing list you want to be removed from).  You may
          also send the HELPcommand for other information (like
          subscribing).--Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
          <<A target=_blank
          href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com><FONT
          face="Courier New" size=2>--Author: Mercadante, Thomas
          F INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.usFat City Network
          Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
          538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public
          Internet access / Mailing
          Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To
          REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto:
          ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
          themessage BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the
          name ofmailing list you want to be removed from).  You may
          also send the HELPcommand for other information (like
          subscribing).--Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
          <<A target=_blank
          href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com><FONT
          face="Courier New" size=2>--<FONT face="Courier New"
          size=2>Author: INET: lhoska_at_calibresys.comFat City
          Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
          538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public
          Internet access / Mailing
          Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To
          REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto:
          ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
          themessage BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the
          name ofmailing list you want to be removed from).  You may
          also send the HELPcommand for other information (like
          subscribing).--Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
          <<A target=_blank
          href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com><FONT
          face="Courier New" size=2>--Author: Christopher
          Spence INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.comFat City Network