Profile Usage Curiosity (WAS) Re: user holding session even after a re-boot

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:54:08 -0700

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, kgel_at_ppoone.com wrote:

> I was talking about the connection profiles that you can use to
> set resource limits when you run the
>
> create profile
>
> command.
>
> With this you can create a profile for a set of users that you
> can then attach to a user either when you create it or thru the
> alter user command.
>
> The profile lets you set such things as CONNECT_TIME and
> IDLE_TIME. Maybe the IDLE_TIME setting might let those
> processes drop off.

I haven't actually used these before. I have always just had a couple of application users which were defined for the needs of applications.

Was curious to hear some others give overviews on how and why have people used these.

They seem to be a very good way to control access when you have a large number of people that will be accessing your database through an ad-hoc tool, like sqlplus, instead of a specific application.

Thanks.

Author: Galen Boyer
  INET: galenboyer_at_hotpop.com