RE: No TNSListner service after intall 8.1.7 on Win 2k

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:50:26 -0700

Igor
& Lisa,
<SPAN

class=703392817-16082001>
that's
only if someplace the ORACLE_SID was set somplace.  It is not established in environmental settings when you create a database, so it does not exist.
<SPAN

class=703392817-16082001>
always create a local {sid}.bat file in a directory, and make sure that directory is in the system path someplace.   I then execute that {sid}.bat file to establish the ORACLE_SID, as well as dba directories for scripts, logs, temps etc.
<SPAN

class=703392817-16082001>
NT is
not like UNIX where things (like environmental variables) get installed automatically - you have do do them yourself.
<SPAN

class=703392817-16082001>
Igor
is correct, the SET command at the dos prompt will display all (or some) of the environmentals that exist.
ANd
Lisa, yes, echo %oracle_sid% is the correct syntax for displaying environmental variables (if they pre-exist - otherwise it displays a blank).
<SPAN

class=703392817-16082001>
And
Rick, as for why TNS did not get installed, maybe you did not ask for it to be installed when you installed the software?
<SPAN

class=703392817-16082001>
Hope
this helps

Tom Mercadante <FONT face=Arial
size=2>Oracle Certified Professional

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Igor Neyman   [mailto:ineyman_at_perceptron.com]Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 2:07   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: Re:   No TNSListner service after intall 8.1.7 on Win 2k   Lisa,

  Try:

  SET ORACLE_SID

  You should get:

  ORACLE_SID='your_sid'

  Igor Neyman, OCP DBAPerceptron, Inc.(734)414-4627<A   href="mailto:ineyman_at_perceptron.com">ineyman_at_perceptron.com

  <BLOCKQUOTE

    Hi Rick,
    I ran into this as well.  I
    figured I didn't need a listener on my w2k box because everything was going     to be local.  However I couldn't connect via sqlplus gui without a     listener (no listener error - maybe because I am specifying the sid).      I guess it's just another difference between Oracle on windows and Oracle on     Unix.
    If I remember right (it's been
    soooo long) when you connect in Unix with the $ORACLE_SID as part of your     env, you can do so without @. If you do it with the @, it looks for a     listener.   When connecting via a windows gui, you are specifying     the sid.  I'm guessing it's doing something similar to the @ in the     background.  The cmd window connects without the @ because it's in the     environment.
    By the way, how do you display an
    environment variable in Windows?  I thought it was echo %ORACLE_SID%,     but that doesn't work.  Anyone?
    Again I may be pre-coffee.
    Lisa Koivu Oracle
    Database Administrator Fairfield Resorts,     Inc. 954-935-4117

      -----Original Message----- <FONT
      face=Arial size=1>From:   <FONT face=Arial
      size=1>Cale, Rick T (Richard) [SMTP:RICHARD.T.CALE_at_saic.com]
      Sent:   <FONT
      face=Arial size=1>Thursday, August 16, 2001 12:36 PM <FONT
      face=Arial size=1>To:     <FONT face=Arial
      size=1>Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT face=Arial
      size=1>Subject:        <FONT
      face=Arial size=1>No TNSListner service after intall 8.1.7 on Win
      2k
      Hi All,
      I did a typical installation of Oracle 8.1.7 on
      Win 2k. It appears to have installed
      Ok.  I can use srvmgrl -> create database -> etc.
      However when I try to use worksheet I get no
      listner. I should not need one from the
      server. Anyway the install did not create service <FONT
      face=Arial size=2>to start the listener.  All other installs I have
      done on NT always created a tnslistner
      service. This in my first install on Win 2k. <FONT face=Arial
      size=2>Anyone have any ideas on why service did not get created and how to
      correct?
      Thanks <FONT face=Arial
      size=2>Rick -- <FONT
      face=Arial size=2>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
      href="http://www.orafaq.com"
      target=_blank>http://www.orafaq.com <FONT face=Arial
      size=2>-- Author: Cale, Rick T
      (Richard)   INET:
      RICHARD.T.CALE_at_saic.com
      Fat City Network Services    --
      (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 <FONT face=Arial
      size=2>San Diego, California        --
      Public Internet access / Mailing Lists <FONT face=Arial
      To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list,
      send an E-Mail message to:
      ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
      the message BODY, include a line containing:
      UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing
      list you want to be removed from).  You may <FONT
      face=Arial size=2>also send the HELP command for other information (like
      subscribing).