Ways to improve speediness of truncate, drop, coalesce

From: Jay Weinshenker <jweinshe_at_concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:05:36 -0700

Sun Sparc Solaris 2.6
Oracle 8.0.6.2.0

42 G tablespace made up of 21 2G files, called T1 for our example 44 G tablespace made up of 22 2G files, called T2 for our example

Scenario:

We have two tablespaces where we wish to export/import all the data. We wish to do this because of the excessive fragmentation in the tablespaces. The sizes/make up of the tablespaces are above.

First I export all the data. After this, I then truncate all the tables
(to avoid redo generation). Some of these truncates fail due to
parent/child key issues. Fine, no big deal. I then go and drop all the tables (with cascade option).

The timings for these items are currently

Truncate 42 minutes
Drop 149 minutes

QUESTION: Anyone know of a way to speed either of these up? I don't want to drop the schema.

Finally, I want to coalesce the tablespaces before I do the import.

What is the fastest way of doing this? I've tried alter tablespace coalesce t1
alter tablespace coalesce t2

These took a combined time of 150 minutes.

Other ideas which I have yet to explore: a) change the pctincrease on the tablespaces from 0 to 1 back to 0. This should force SMON to coalesce.
b) Modify the init.ora (forgot exact parameter) to dedicate more time to smon coalescing
c) shutdown/startup the database (which should force smon to coalesce)

QUESTION: What of these (or other alternatives, I'm open...) would be the fastest? I cannot believe that 2.5 hours to coalesce 86G of tablespace is the best I can do.

Thoughts?

Author: Jay Weinshenker
  INET: jweinshe_at_concentric.net