Re: Comment on 'Practical Oracle 8i'

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:12:07 -0700

I don't know how bookpool does it - it's been at deep discounts since publication, whereas Amazon managed to cut it by 10% for about two weeks in 9 months.

A comment like yours came up on the
comp.databases.oracle.server newsgroup
very soon after the book came out. The
convenient weasel word is of course the
'often'.

I had forgotten when I wrote it that Steve had made exactly the opposite comment;
however, there is room for both of us to be correct. The effect is application-dependent.

Cary Millsap has an article on his website www.hotsos.com which describes a case
where upgrading the CPUs to a higher
speed (same number) resulted in the OLTP users complaining about a drop in performance.

The bottom line is that queuing theory always kicks in when you have a small number of resources and a large number of users.
The effect can be exaggerated when the
unit of resource offered is significantly larger than the amount of resource that many of the users can take advantage of. This,
of course is the argument in the second
part of your note.

Of course, it would be rather nice to be able to set up an entire environment
with a high-stress application, and
then run a test which kept the total
available MHz constant but changed
the number of chips. But even then
you'd have to be very careful about what it was you were actually measuring.

Any volunteers with a couple of
megabuck's of hardware and
a few weeks of HR to spare ?
(Preferably in an interesting part