Re: dimension time question

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:30:47 -0700

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>> --- JOE TESTA <JTESTA_at_longaberger.com> a écrit :

>> In a "normal" time_dimension, doesn't qtr need to
>> have the year as part of it, so that it looks like
>> 20011 for the 1st qtr?

> Let the quarter field contain only quarter
> information.

Yes, you can query the year field if needed.

> It will be easier to compare data between quarters
> over years.

You may want to have an extra column for each column listed which has a "julian" number.

Jul-Qtr Qtr

1       1
2       2
3       3
4       4
5       1
6       7

Then, you can do some nice comparisons across quarters with just straight arithmetic.

Then, each one of the columns could have this extra column for good measure.

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.

Author: Galen Boyer
  INET: galenboyer_at_hotpop.com