RE: Splitting a database: pro and cons

From: Browett, Darren <dbrowett_at_city.coquitlam.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:55:49 -0700

Our setup is one application per database (9 instances and growing), not all databases are
integrated, but the majority are.

Some of the things to consider :

If one database goes down, the others have to right away. Or at least those ones that have
integration.
As we are a distrubuted environment, we may not be able to roll forward our systems in the
event of problem (this is something I been meaning to post to the list to see if I am correct).
The level of complexity increases, not only do you have to support the application, but you
now have to support the integration.
When creating a test environment you have to copy both databases to ensure the integration is
intact.
If using snapshots, if one database goes down, a large number of snapshot errors are generated
on the alert.log.
Unix scripts are a little more complex as you now have to consider a number of databases as
opposed to one, with each database having its own setup. You can now tune the database for that particular application, as opposed to trying to balance
it.

Darren

Author: Djordje Jankovic
  INET: djankovic_at_corp.attcanada.ca

Author: Browett, Darren
  INET: dbrowett_at_city.coquitlam.bc.ca
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 15 2001 - 12:55:49 CDT