RE: Speed up Truncate tables

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:37:31 -0700

Chuan,

Kevin is correct. If your truncate table is taking a *long* time (and the table is not locked by another process), it's because your storage params are incorrect for the amount of data you are holding.

Look at initial and next in comparison with the number of extents (DBA_EXTENTS view) for the table in question, and modify them before you load the data.
You can modify the INITIAL extent by issuing an 'alter table allocate extent(size x)' command to grow the INITIAL extent. You can also modify the NEXT extent by issuing an 'alter table storage (next x)' command to change the NEXT extent.

hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Chuan Zhang
  INET: chuan_at_asiaonline.net

Author: Kevin Lange
  INET: kgel_at_ppoone.com

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 15 2001 - 12:37:31 CDT