RE: user holding session even after a re-boot

From: Koivu, Lisa <lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:24:38 -0700

Well, that sounds like an optimal environment, Kevin.  I've seen Oracle client zombie sessions hang around for days and chew up CPU.  I had to write a shell script to identify these sessions and kill them in both the OS and in Oracle.  This was HP/UX.  I've seen the same thing on Solaris.  And so I'm told OpenVMS does not have this problem.

Profiles will timeout a session that is idle, not one that is busy cranking away on who knows what statement it was executing when the messy app either dropped the connection unexpectedly or the user rebooted.  That is, unless you set a different resource limit on the profile and assign it to the app user.  I found that was very messy and I got more complaints than anything else.

Guess the bottom line is the behavior of a released connection is platform dependent.

Lisa Koivu
Gimp and Oracle DBA
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Author: Farnsworth, Dave
  INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Kevin Lange
  INET: kgel_at_ppoone.com
Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 15 2001 - 12:24:38 CDT