RE: OT -- training

From: <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 07:19:47 -0700

Yes. It does. But, as someone pointed out earlier, as an individual it's only partially deductible. If you're a business then it is an expense that can be offset against income (and thus is 100% deductible). If you're not already a DBA (or at least in an IT field) then it's probably not deductible.

As always, check with a real tax lawyer. Me? I just slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

Regarding registering as a non-profit -- 2 points.

  1. The IRS requires that you have some socially beneficial activity as your only mission (education, religion, etc.).
  2. You can never make a profit.

They're pretty picky about this. (LOL)

                    lhoska_at_calibr

                    esys.com             To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

                    Sent by:             <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

                    root_at_fatcity.        cc:

                    com                  Subject:     RE: OT -- training

                    08/14/2001

                    05:41 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Speaking about progressing in your current field wouldn't technical training
of dba qualify for a tax break under the same category as training for FAA ground instructor? Otherwise, your FAA ground instructor registered as a private business (and we're back to the beginning of our discussion). Doesn't surprise me neither does it make me jealous. There are so many different career decisions you can make. I like being a dba.. Btw, I am pretty sure you can write off your technical book fees even as an individual..
     Author: Post, Ethan
       INET: epost_at_kcc.com

     San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists

       INET: tday6_at_csc.com

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: INET: lhoska_at_calibresys.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: INET: tday6_at_csc.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L