RE: How can I get my DB back if I lost one of my rollback segment

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 06:29:23 -0700

When you restored, did you restore the control files etc... EVERYTHING from the cold backup? It should not have been looking at the new file at all if you added it after the backup.

Now... rewrite your cold backup script to read the names of the datafiles, logfiles and controlfiles to be backed up from a file.

In the script, before you shutdown the database, do a spool to a file of this select statement (this is the file you will read in the script to tell you the names of the files to backup).

select name from v$datafile
union
select member from v$logfile
union
select name from v$controlfile
/

this will give you the name of all the datafiles, controlfiles and logfiles that you will need to backup in your cold backup script.

And you will never have to worry about forgetting to add in a new file name because you will be getting the accurate information from the database always

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com