Re: Netbackup with Oracle 817

From: Stephen Andert <StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:56:09 -0700

Nbir,

Well I'm no expert on backups, but we are in the process of rolling out rman and Veritas Netbackup across our company.  This includes several databases that are well over 200GB.  We have an ATL (Automated Tape Library) with around 300 slots and currently 10 drives.  We are having some, as yet undetermined, "issues" with NetBackup taking drives offline.  The rman piece seems to be working when the NetBackup piece cooperates.

We are also working out differences between different dbas with regards to backup philosophy.  For example, rman does not need to shut the database down to get a "good" backup.  For some of us, this was difficult to comprehend how you can get a consistent backup while the database is up and running.  Also, different groups have different practices on how many archived redo logs to keep.  With rman, we are trying to standardize on length of time to keep them after they are backed up.
I haven't been involved with the script-writing pice, so I can't help you there, but I hope to get my hands a bit more dirty with B&R after I pass my performance tuning test.

Good Luck
Stephen>>> navtej_b_at_yahoo.com 08/14/01 02:53PM
>>>Hi Experts,Can somebody guide me towards Oracle database
backupof around 200G with Netbackup and I really appreciateany document for Rman Scripts/Backup document likerestore or other test scenario. I know lots of big company has implemented it and I amtold to submit mine document in a week and sodesperately need all of ur advice and very greatfullif someone can help me all test scenario plus scriptThanks a ton in advanceNbir Received on Tue Aug 14 2001 - 17:56:09 CDT