sqlplus and substr command

From: Yttri, Lisa <lisa.yttri_at_cnh.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:40:20 -0700

Hi -

Can someone tell me if sqlplus functionality has changed between version 8.1.5 and 8.1.7 (on Sun Solaris)?  I have a couple of queries that used the substr function on some longer columns.  When I run it against my 8.1.5 database, the substr works fine.  It appears to be ignored when I run the same query against my 8.1.7 database.

How do I get around this?  If I define a fixed-length column, will that do it?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me - Lisa Received on Tue Aug 14 2001 - 13:40:20 CDT