RE: OT -- MS SQL Server is putting Oracle to shame,

From: Christopher Spence <cspence_at_FuelSpot.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:44:52 -0700

The same statement I use for Unix, I will use for SQL Server.

Give me $40,000 and I will build an NT box, take $40,000 and build a unix (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX type) and see who wins.

Same thing works for SQL Server and Oracle.

Granted $40,000 is a small budget, but there are a lot of people who would spend about $80,000 for their database in hardware and software, that is a very big market. Oracle and Unix cannot hold that entire market.

And that is probably the only reason SQL Server and NT are alive and kicking.
They are good products if used for the right job. Once you try to do much, then you find the advantages of Oracle and Unix.

Although any day of the week I would rather have a $1,000,000 unix box running Oracle. But I cannot with a straight face tell 15 person company selling Beanie babies on Ebay to buy that setup.

Nothing is perfect for every solution, and Oracle is far from it, and SQL Server is even further. While Oracle's costs are high, and Unix hardware stays well above the intel market (which is going to change greatly with the I64) there will be a large market share that Oracle will have a tough time competing in.

Although Win2000 has many bugs and compatibility issues, it is pretty solid with the right hardware and properly tested software.

For a anti-m$/anti-win32 this is a tough email to write, but I believe it in its entirety.
Blanket policy M$, SQL Server, Win32 sucks, period end of story is just being naive.

"Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."

Christopher R. Spence
Oracle DBA
Phone: (978) 322-5744
Fax: (707) 885-2275

Fuelspot
73 Princeton Street
North, Chelmsford 01863

Author: "Boivin; Patrice J" <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date:       8/14/2001 8:21 AM

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/21003.html <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/21003.html>

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Christopher Spence
  INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Aug 14 2001 - 12:44:52 CDT