RE: I admit this is dumb. NT/W2K Services?

From: Kevin Lange <kgel_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:54:25 -0700

I am
sure you have already found the windows 2000 server on-line help pages   <A
href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/">http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/ <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
service is just what the generic info says.  They are processes on Windows that run in the background handling different functions of the OS.   You can think of them as TSRs in the old DOS days or DAEMONS in the Unix world.  They handle communications between different levels of the OS including user interface, middle tier, hardware, etc.  They also perform any number of automated processes.  Any background program worth anything on Windows server usually has a service or two running in the background to handle things.   Oracle should have one for the database, the listener, and any other automated process.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa   [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001   12:22 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   I admit this is dumb. NT/W2K Services?   I'm playing with Oracle on w2k out of sheer   boredom.  So now I'm forced to learn a little bit about w2k.

  I was looking at oradim and it has starttype and   shuttype with options srvc and inst.  OK, I understand the instance   part.  But what on earth are services?  Below is what the help says   about it.  So to translate this into Unix-speak, is this similar to a   daemon?  I guess I'm confused because as far as I know there's nothing   additional that needs to be running on Unix to just start up a database.

  If that's the case, then why would you want to shut   down an instance and not services?  For RMAN?  I guess I'm at a loss   here.  Can someone give me an example of when you'd want to do   this?
  Plus, there's notes on Metalink about recreating   services.  Why/when would you want to do that?    Here's the overly-generic definition I found.   A program, routine, or process that
  performs a specific system function to support other programs, particularly at   a low (close to the hardware) level. When services are provided over a   network, they can be published in Active Directory, facilitating   service-centric administration and usage. Some examples of Windows 2000   services are Security Accounts Manager service, File Replication Service, and   Routing and Remote Access Service.
  Any descriptions or web sites that can describe   this would be appreciated.
  Lisa Koivu Oracle Database
  Administrator and Self-Professed W2K Idiot. <FONT   face=Batang>Fairfield Resorts, Inc. <FONT   face=Batang>954-935-4117 Received on Tue Aug 14 2001 - 11:54:25 CDT