Re: How can I get my DB back if I lost one of my rollback segment (rb

From: A. Bardeen <abardeen1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 06:26:33 -0700

Hermanto,

You don't mention whether the db is in archivelog mode or not or whether the rbs02.dbf was included in a prior backup, so I'm assuming the answer to both questions is "no".

If the backup was a good cold backup (i.e. taken when the db was shutdown normal or immediate) then you can open the db, but you'll have to recreate the tablespace to which rbs02.dbf belongs.

  1. Comment out the ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS entry in the init.ora, if there is one.
  2. startup mount restrict
  3. Offline drop the rbs02.dbf alter database datafile '<filename>' offline drop;
  4. alter database open;

  If you don't have the online redo logs included in the backup, then you'll have to "fake" recovery in order to open with resetlogs:
  recover database until cancel;

     you should get a "media recovery complete" message if this was a good cold backup
  alter database open resetlogs;

5. Drop and recreate the tablespace to which rbs02.dbf belongs.

6. Take a full db backup

If the backup is a hot backup and/or you have archived logs you want to apply then it gets a bit trickier and odds are you'll have rows locked by uncommitted transactions that SMON is unable to rollback if any extents for active RBS's were allocated in the rbs02.dbf datafile.

HTH,

Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
Author: A. Bardeen