RE: OT -- training

From: Christopher Spence <cspence_at_FuelSpot.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:51:03 -0700

Yes, you will get 1099 to your
social number.  Which is enough to do a business who has no employees/benefits.

"Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."
Christopher R. Spence  <FONT

face="Bell MT" size=1>OCP  MCSE MCP A+ RAPTOR CNA <FONT
face="Comic Sans MS" size=2>Oracle DBA <FONT face="Comic Sans MS"
size=2>Phone: (978) 322-5744 <FONT face="Comic Sans MS"
size=2>Fax:    (707) 885-2275

Fuelspot <FONT
face="Comic Sans MS" size=2>73 Princeton Street <FONT
face="Comic Sans MS" size=2>North, Chelmsford 01863 <FONT
face="Comic Sans MS" size=2>

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Bowes, Chris   [mailto:Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com] Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 6:26   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE:   OT -- training
  Really?  I was told
  that  if you are an independent NON
  incorporated entity, you will get a 1099 to your social security number.    If you incorporate as a 1099 business (sole prop, non schedule C company) then   your company will get a 1099.

  If you are an S corp or a C
  corp, and have a corporate EIN then usually you won't get any   1099's.

  Either way, there will be
  paper work and numbers needed and your income will be   reportted.

  Most companies that I have
  dealt with have demanded that you be incorporated as a C or S corp.  The   reason is if you're not an s or c corporation and you're getting any kind of   benefit from a company that you're doing work for and not an employee of, then   the IRS can (and will, if they discover it), charge that company for your FICA   taxes and FUTA taxes.   They can also declare you an employee of   them, exposing them to lawsuits from you.

  If you are incorporated, then
  the likelyhood of the IRS telling a company using your work that they are   responsible for your payroll taxes goes down.  It's not nonexistant, but   it does go down.

  I'll have to look this up to
  see where I am wrong.

  --Chris <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>Chris.Bowes_at_Kosa.com

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Christopher Spence     [mailto:cspence_at_FuelSpot.com]Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 4:58     PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE:     OT -- training
    Generally the way it works
    (at least in NH)

    If you do not hire
    employee's, give benefits you do not need a tax id.     Although alot of companys
    are very uncomfortable dealing with people without tax     id's.
    If you are by yourself
    you generally will not need a tax id.  Although it may prove benefitial     to have one to make it easier when dealing with larger companies who feel     insecure.

      face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: JOE TESTA
      [mailto:JTESTA_at_longaberger.com] Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001
      4:40 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LSubject: RE: OT -- training
      That i dont know for sure, i incorporated so there would
      be less questions from the IRS, got a taxid the whole thing, separate
      checking acct, credit cards, so there is a definite separation between
      business money and personal money.

      joe

      oh and my original statement should have been a
      question

      You can't write off training?????

      >>> epost_at_kcc.com 08/13/01 04:11PM
      >>>Joe do you actually have to get incorporated or can you
      just file as aprivate business? - E-----Original
      Message-----From: JOE TESTA [<A
      href="mailto:JTESTA_at_longaberger.com]">mailto:JTESTA_at_longaberger.com]Sent:
      Monday, August 13, 2001 12:42 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LYou can't write off training.  you need to get
      incorporated.  I'm a businessentity and if/when the company i
      work for won't pay for training, you canbet it will get written off on
      my taxes, that includes all of the oraclebooks, OCP exams, you name
      it, it gets deducted as a legitimate companyexpense.  2
      years ago the company i was working for didnt want to send me
      toopenworld(and I knew i'd be leaving in less than 2months anyways),
      so i atethe cost and wrote the entire trip
      off.joe>>> RROGERS_at_galottery.org
      08/13/01 02:41PM >>>Patrice,There is "resistance" to any
      training that I feel is necessary to further myknowledge and/or
      enhance my understanding of the Oracle processes. Eventhough I have
      money in the budget for such items I have to submit a businesscase
      defining the gains to the company and after completing the course
      witha passing grade the company will reimburse me the expenses for the
      courseonly. I also have to sign a waver that I will pay the company
      back the fullcost of the course if I leave their employment before 365
      days. Needless tosay I pay for everything myself and hope to write it
      off on taxes if theyever get the bill signed into law.ROR mª¿ªm
      >>> BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca 08/13/01 11:46AM
      >>>Just out of curiosity, how many days / weeks of real
      training did youremployer provide you with in the last couple of
      years?"real" is in quotes, I don't mean the little 1 - 3 day
      seminars given byCareerTrack and other "training" companies, or
      management-related stuff likelittle MBA-flavoured certificates from
      universities.Oh, and did the amount of training you received match
      what you were toldduring your job
      interview?Regards,Patrice BoivinSystems Analyst (Oracle
      Certified DBA)Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit.
      des systèmesTechnology
      Services        | Services
      technologiquesInformatics
      Branch         | Direction de
      l'informatique Maritimes Region, DFO      |
      Région des Maritimes, MPOE-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca < <A
      href="mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca">mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca<<A
      href="mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca">mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
      > --Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
      href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com<<A
      href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com>
      --Author: Boivin, Patrice J  INET:
      BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca Fat City Network
      Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
      538-5051San Diego,
      California        -- Public Internet
      access / Mailing
      Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To
      REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto:
      ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe
      message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of
      mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the
      HELP command for other information (like subscribing).--Please
      see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
      href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com<<A
      href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com>
      --Author: Ron Rogers  INET:
      RROGERS_at_galottery.orgFat City Network Services
      -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego,
      California        -- Public Internet
      access / Mailing
      Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To
      REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto:
      ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe
      message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of
      mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the
      HELP command for other information (like
      subscribing).------------------------------------------------------------------------------This
      e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain
      privileged, confidential, or proprietary information that is exempt from
      disclosure under law.  If you have received this message in error,
      please inform us promptly by reply e-mail, then delete the e-mail and
      destroy any printed copy.   Thank
      you.==============================================================================--Please
      see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
      href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com--Author:
      Post, Ethan  INET: epost_at_kcc.comFat City Network
      Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
      538-5051San Diego,
      California        -- Public Internet
      access / Mailing
      REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto:
      ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe
      message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of
      mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the
      HELP command for other information (like
  subscribing). Received on Mon Aug 13 2001 - 17:51:03 CDT