After restoring PROD to another NT server as DEV...

From: Denmark Weatherburne <denmark_weatherburne_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:33:35 -0700

Thanks DBA's,

OK, I recently restored the "PROD" database to another NT server as "DEV". Thanks for all your input. The best way to learn is to test. Before I could open the database, I had to use the RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE; option. After cancelling without applying any logs, I was able to open the database with the RESETLOGS option.

The "PROD" database in running in ARCHIVELOG mode. I am running the "DEV" database in NOARCHIVELOG mode.

If I change the ARCHIVE MODE to ARCHIVELOG on "DEV", can I apply the archived logs from "PROD" to "DEV" database daily?

What are the procedures?

Also could I have used the option NORESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG with the CREATE CONTROLFILE statement?

What are the requirements?

BTW,
I observed some Archived Logs on the PROD database with sequence numbers having a greater range than the current sequence. For example, the current logs have sequence like Arc3685.1 while there are a few created at random from April to August with sequence numbers like Arc5164.1 to Arc5214.1.
What controls the sequence numbering for archived log files? How can you explain the change of sequence numbers at random?

Regards,

Denmark W.
"Knowledge is power, but it is only useful if it is shared!"

Author: Denmark Weatherburne
  INET: denmark_weatherburne_at_hotmail.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Aug 13 2001 - 12:33:35 CDT