RE: RECOVERY

From: Denmark Weatherburne <denmark_weatherburne_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:26:46 -0700

Hi DBA's here is another scenario,

I'm trying to recover a database from a cold O/S backup onto another NT machine. The source database was running in NOARCHIVELOG Mode. I guesss the backup was not taken at a consistent state because when I tried to open the database, Oracle asked for Archive Log#13. I realized that I don't have the Archived Log because the source database was running in NOARCHIVELOG mode. I think I copied the online REDO logs as well though.
I changed the status on the source database to ARCHIVELOG mode in an attempt to write Archive Log#13 to disk.
I made a mistake at the command line and ended up overwriting the online log#13 anyway. I ended up writing Archive Log#14 to disk. Of course Log#14 is useless because the destination system requires Log#13. I did some reading over the weekend and found out the following: If the Archived REDO Log that Oracle needs to complete recovery of a database is unavailable, I believe I can use Point in Time Recovery. I've never tested this scenario before. What approach is best? How can I determine what is the appropriate time to recover to?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Denmark Weatherburne
"Knowledge is power, but it is only useful if it is shared."

Author: Denmark Weatherburne
  INET: denmark_weatherburne_at_hotmail.com