RE: SGA info.

From: Jon Walthour <jonw_at_fuse.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:06:13 -0700

Raja:

Let me see if I can explain it.

As Girijan previously explained, some of this extra memory is taken up with the redo log guard pages. Guard pages are one memory protection unit in size and are there to prevent Oracle software bugs or hackers from corrupting the log buffer.

Another portion of the memory results from a minimum size for the log buffer of 4 * db_block_size. This rounding up is reflected in v$sga, but not in v$sgastat. There is also a lot of "rounding up" and extra memory allocation like this going on with other structures in the sga to fill out full memory pages. This, too, is represented in v$sga, but not in v$sgastat.

The remainder of the space is accounted for in the "empty pages" like the redo log buffer's guard pages that enclose various sga structures to avoid areas stepping on each other. These "empty pages" are also not accounted for in v$sgastat.

HTH, Jon Walthour