Re: Perf tuning OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ

From: <John.Dailey_at_ing-fsi-na.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 18:08:25 -0700

Rich, It sounds like you just started your instance up not too long ago.... the statistics in v$system_event are going to be badly skewed. I'd definitely wait for some period of time to allow for more usable statistics to build. Remember, each time you bounce the instance you are going to reset the wait stats. Since your scattered read time is so high I'd look to the actual # of waits compared to the rest of your events.... it is probably very low. If this database HAS been up for a while and you do a lot of full table scans, you probably have an I/O throughput or data distribution problem causing such high average times. It's hard to make much of a determination based off a newly started instance.

On a related note, I read the same white paper a while back and messed around with the parameters a little and took some timings.... it didn't help us too much here (marginal improvement for a few major queries I tested it against). I can give you more details if you are interested. I really didn't give it a full workout though; I'm sure it is useful in the right environment. We are on 8.0.5 and AIX 4.3.3.

 I'd say tune the SQL as best as you can before you touch these parameters. You'll get more bang for your buck and I'm sure there's lots of queries that ran good under RBO that are suddenly going to be dogs in CBO and vice-versa. Good old-fashioned tuning fun!

HTH and YMMV....

John Dailey
Oracle DBA
Atlanta, GA

All opinions are my own yadda yadda

                    "Jesse, Rich"

                    <Rich.Jesse_at_qti        To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    world.com>             cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     Perf tuning
OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ
                    root_at_fatcity.co

                    08/09/2001

                    12:55 PM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

After just migrating from 8.0.6 to 8.1.7 and RBO to CBO, I've been researching about perf tuning and have come across the init.ora parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ. The guide, by Tim Gorman of evdbt.com, explained that it's default value is 100 (percent), but should probably be in the 10-50 range for OLTP systems. It recommended using the following query as a
guideline to set this:

           SELECT event, average_wait
           FROM v$system_event
           WHERE event LIKE 'db file s%read';

...and to take the ratio of "db file sequential read" to "db file scattered read" as a value for OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ. That may be fine for most systems, but our ratio is around .08%. No, it's not 8% -- and it's not a decimal problem. I'm getting this:

           db file sequential read        1.83687542789106
           db file scattered read         2151.12743289383

I'm reasonably certain that the seemingly outrageous "2151.127" is due to our use of HP's AutoRAID (SLOWWWWWW!) -- we won't be getting one in our next
box.

So, I'm a little skiddish about changing the default value from 100 to 1 or even 10, based on the above query alone. The scattered read average wait seems to be dropping steadily (it's now down to ~1900 over a period of 14 hours), so I'm trying to provide a "good" value for this parm without adversely affecting the optimizer.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA!

Rich Jesse                          System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com             Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA
Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com