From: Denmark Weatherburne <>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:05:52 -0700

Hi DBA's:

I've been researching this issue as well. All the expert advice seems to point to using RAID 1+0 for OLTP implementations and RAID 5 for DSS (Read-Only) implementations. I also found out that you can use raw partitions on NT as well. Does anyone have experience with setting up raw partitions on NT? I still don't know how one would separate datafiles from indexfiles and REDOLogfiles under RAID implementations? Any ideas?

I agree that it boils down to the fundamental question of cost vs performance. Nevertheless, DBA's and SA's still have to be familiar with these configurations to be efficient.

Denmark Weatherburne

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
Author: Denmark Weatherburne