RE: OT-Visio and Oracle

From: Richard Huntley <rhuntley_at_mindleaders.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 11:05:43 -0700

Wayne,
I have an older version of Visio, but i was just playing around with this. Try just going into Control Panel and defining a new data source via ODBC Data Sources. Click on the System DSN tab, then add a data source and use the "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" driver. Once you have that setup, simply go into Visio, click on Database -> Reverse Engineer it'll prompt you for the data source, click on the one you just defined then follow the wizard to select the object types you'd like to reverse engineer, etc...and that's it...

HTH -----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 11:13 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I have upgraded my Visio to Visio Professional 2002 and noticed that it has datatbase modules as part of it. I have never used that part of Visio and was hoping someone who has could give me a little guidance.

I am trying run Visio on my Windows NT and connect to Oracle (either 7.3.4 or 8.1.6) on a Sun workstation. Visio does not give much help, just that the Wizzard is supposed to guide me thru the process. The first step of the wizzard is to set up the Drivers. It gives me many choices for drivers but the 2 most promising looking are "Oracle Server" or "ODBC Generic Driver". Then there are many subcatagories including: "Oracle 73 Ver 2.5" and "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" as well as many others for various Microsoft products.

It seems like connecting to a Microsoft product is a piece of cake but Oracle is hardly mentioned and so far I have not been able to make it work. Any pointers from someone who has made it work would be appreciated.

TIA, Wayne, McGillWL_at_navair.navy.mil

Author: Wayne McGill
  INET: McGillWL_at_navair.navy.mil

Author: Richard Huntley
  INET: rhuntley_at_mindleaders.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 08 2001 - 13:05:43 CDT