Re: Urgent

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 12:40:49 -0700

> well always being one to raise to a challenge:

Cuz I find myself working on a number of databases than run on: you guessed it, windoze.

Simple stuff like checking the amount of space available on a filesystem and sending mail to the DBA's cell phone if it reaches a critical stage for some reason.

This is *trivial* on unix. Less so on windoze.

I swear, windoze seems to be built with the idea that no one but morons will ever use it. Too many people spend too much time manually looking at stuff on windoze when then should be deploying monitors to free them from this tedium.

There's now a Win32 Service in Perl running on several of our NT/Win2k boxes, keeping an eye on the alert.logs for me.

I don't like spending my time poring over alert logs. :)

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com