Re: computer history stories

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 11:38:53 -0700

I joined the USN in 1966 to avoid the draft. I got sent to Data Systems Technician school for computer training. We used a Univac CADET (Can't Add & Doesn't Even Try); which used a lookup matrix in place of real adder logic. It had 4K worth of 18 bit word magnetic core RAM. The programs were entered in octal via toggle switches in actual machine code; not even assembler. All too frequently the memory would get zapped by a ship that turned on its radar for testing. :-(

After I got out of the Navy & went to collge I got to use a real computer, the IBM 360/40 running PCP. My 1st high level language was Fortran 2; which was so MUCH easier to use than machine code. Since then I've worked on/with a decent assortment of hardware, operating systems and programming languages.

Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Aug 03 2001 - 13:38:53 CDT