Re: huge datafiles/need help

From: Peter Gram <peter.gram_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 11:38:42 -0700

Hi Lyuda

This is not a nice situation to bee in, but the god new is that oracle can help you since you are using version 8.1.6 !
You can use the "ALTER INDEX <index-name> REBUILD TABLESPACE <new-tablespace_name>;" to move the index to a new tablespace and this can even be don online with "ALTER INDEX <index-name> REBUILD ONLINE TABLESPACE <new-tablespace_name>;" BUT then you have to look out for bug 1475310 that should be fixed in 8.1.7.

lhoska_at_calibresys.com wrote:

> Hi List,
> I have a monster tablespace 36 G with two datafiles 32 G and 4 G. Don't ask
> me who created such a file because I don't know. I am trying to rescue the
> database that has multiple problems. Something you've never seen before.
> Bye the way, did anyone ever run a test how much stuff you can put on your
> disc before it dyes? Well, yesterday I found a disc which was 99.07 % full.
> Anyway...
> The tablespace is ~ 50 % free. The bad news is it doesn't let me to reduce
> the size of the datafiles by using 'alter database datafile ... resize...';.
> That tablespace contains 32 indexes. Some of them are as large as 600 -800
> M. I need to develop a plan of attack.
> My options are:
> 1) drop and recreate the indexes;
> 2) rebuild the indexes in different tablespace/tablespaces;
> 3) export/import indexes or may be even tablespace all at once.
>
> Is there anyone who has done something similar before?
> All suggestions are greatly appreciated. That database is screaming for
> help!!
> It running Oracle 8.1.6 on NT.
>
> Lyuda Hoska

> INET: lhoska_at_calibresys.com