Re: OT -- suggestions to ensure nerdiness in potential IT staff

From: Kevin Kostyszyn <kevin_at_dulcian.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 06:14:36 -0700

I think that's awesome Ivan!!!
KK
<BLOCKQUOTE

  Famous...I hope at least recognized by my deeds.  It's   funny this is coming up, I am currently in the middle of starting a dream of   mine.
  Basically I am starting a non profit organization designed to   teach these hot in demand IT skills to a resource this country has   overlooked-young inner city minorities. I know there are people already trying   to do similar stuff and oracle has there program they're working on with high   schools, but I feel that my business plan and ideas will be superior to what's   currently out there, not to mention that I will have an execution plan these   kids will latch onto, different from the traditional high school setting   they're tired of.
  I feel that I am an example of what I can do with them, as I   said I didn't go to college for CIS, am not a super brain, but I had an   interest in computers and also a hunger to make a good living (legally).    In the span of three years I have fully changed around my life.  I now   make good money (I am currently putting my sister through college) and am   living a great clean life. Oracle literally kept me out of jail (no need to go   into specifics)!
  I feel this IT route is a new alternative for inner city youth   to make it out of the 'hood. This is a more realistic manner to a good life   than the traditional routes of making it big in: sports,music,entertainment or   going the wrong route and getting into dealing drugs. I am living just as good   as most of the drug dealers I know or have come in contact with and being   realistic here, these guys are looked up to by the younger kids in the   neighborhood.  As a kid I always looked up to them and still see the same   thing going on today. If I can get these kids to see a different way to attain   the same possessions the dealers have (for the most part, that's what it boils   down to-money and material objects) and get some in the IT field, I've done my   job.
  I have been teaching the DBA track here at FSU for the last in   preparation for the stated above goal and have started to recruit people for   the board and also to teach. Today, in fact I received the conformation that I   have been given education consent from the New York State Department of   Education (yesssss!), next comes the 501(c) and I'll be quitting my job hoping   to get this thing off the ground. In fact Rachel I have had you in mind to ask   to join my board but haven't approach or asked the board for input until I was   'official'. Sorry for ranting, any advice (good or bad) will be greatly   appreciated. Thanks. Ivan Received on Fri Aug 03 2001 - 08:14:36 CDT