RE: OT -- suggestions to ensure nerdiness in potential IT staff

From: <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 22:49:24 -0700

2314 Disk drives are responsible for me being in the IT racket.

The problem with the 2314 was that it was removable, but it could not be removed until it came to a complete stop. Otherwise you might damage the heads or the disk itself. The disk drive had a glass window so that you could see if something was mounted but the disk had no markings, so it was impossible to tell just by looking whether the disk was spinning or not. The only safe policy was to turn the drive off and wait five minutes to be certain that the disk had spun down. You then manually opened the drawer, attached a carrying handle to the drive, and very gingerly removed it.

My immediate predecessor as a computer operator did not follow this policy. He yanked the drive out while it was still spinning, gyroscoped around the computer room and banged it into a printer. He then decided to remount it in order to make sure that he hadn't damaged the drive. The damaged drive trashed the heads. This genius then decided that he couldn't tell whether the drive or the heads were bad so he remounted the drive on another spindle, just in case it was the first spindle's heads that were bad. So he trashed the second spindle's heads.

The machine had 4 spindles but it need two of them just to hold the operating system. So, they could boot the machine, but they couldn't mount any data or do any work. They fired him, had an opening, and hired me.

You can bet that I was glad when the 3330 disk drive came in. It would not open the door to let you dismount the pack until the drive had spotted spinning.

  INET: tday6_at_csc.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Aug 03 2001 - 00:49:24 CDT