Re: OT -- the volume of job postings is way down

From: Yosi Greenfield <yosi_at_comhill.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 09:11:58 -0700

As one who has searched these boards of late, I concur. Someone posted a while back a good summary that went something like this:

... The postings are the same ones that have been there for months, but they get a new date on them every three days, the jobs that the postings are for don't exist, if there ever is a real opening all the boards post it from several different recruiters (call them what you will), and for those real jobs they want someone who's done dba, Legato, Veritas, Perl (12 yrs), and Sybase and DB2 to boot. AND they're offering 30k less than you were making at your last job....

I paraphrased, but that's what I've found too.

Also, aside from the poor market, its summertime. Not many new projects start in the summer.

I have my *first* interview with an actual hiring company in several *months* of looking, and that didn't come off the standard job boards, nor did it come from a recruiter. Wish me luck.

By the way, I've alternately referred to the dot-bomb I came from as dot-compost. It has a nice ring to it. Maybe I can coin the term and make the rent that way...

Sigh.

Yosi

Author: Yosi Greenfield
  INET: yosi_at_comhill.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 01 2001 - 11:11:58 CDT