RE: OT about to peeve off the vegatarians: RE: OT RE: Largest

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:52:28 -0700

So where do I get my woolly mammoth steaks.

|| www.texasgrassfedbeef.com www.vermontbeef.com www.colemanbeef.com

What was the life expectancy of early hominids?

|| about 30-40. They died early due to infection and trauma. Not heart
disease, cancer, arthritis,

        or other autoimmune disorders. Other fitness markers (any physical anthropologists out there?)

        showed them to be remarkably fit and powerful.

I don't know about Maine Blue Berries, but wild blueberries in Nova Scotia are just as sweet if not sweeter than the store bought ones.

Where in a reputable peer-reviewed journal can one find an article store bought food is less nutritious than wild food. The purpose of fruit is to be eaten, the seeds passing through the digestive system intact to be planted with a little fertilizer. The sweeter the fruit, the more animals are attracted, the greater chance of the plant dispersing its progeny.

|| Fresh food is better than processed food. Enzymes are volatile, some
having labile points not much above 100F.

        Ditto for vitamins, especially water soluble ones like C. They oxidize quickly in the presence of air. You

        could do an article ( and get it reviewed and published if you like ) on the vitamin C content of fresh

        squeezed juice, and juice that has been sitting out for a few hours. You'd find *significantly* less C in

        the...er....store bought juice. Oh, yea, don't forget they pasteurize the juice by BOILING it. Great.....

As far as I can tell taste takes a second seat to looks with commercial produce. Produce is picked before its time so it can be transported unbruised. It doesn't taste as good as the stuff off a backyard tree.

|| Well we certainly agree here!

My daughter is autistic. We have her on a cassein and gluten free diet. It seems to have done her some good; her attentiveness has increased and her perserveration has dropped. My wife swears it has; I lean more towards non-casual coincidence, but I don't want to give her bread pudding in case I'm wrong. You won't believe how many things have gluten and cassein. Gluten is not naturally found in corn, but it's in corn flakes. Most soy cheeses have cassein in them so they melt like dairy cheeses. It is very difficult to keep on such a diet, taking all grains out of the diet would be harder still.

|| Hmmm...this is a hard one. There is, of course, absolutely no need for
cow's milk (casein source), nor for wheat. In fact, as I am sure you have heard, gluten can do "not good" things in the body. There are people who flourish by
avoiding modern ( past several thousand years..."modern" in genetic/evolutionary sense) agricultural products. Just search on lectins...phytates...aflatoxins.....

Autism is a multi-genetic disorder; i.e, more than one gene is involved. Latest evidence is that the genes express themselves about the first month of pregnancy. In the future it will be detectable via amniocentesis, much like trisomy 13 is today. For a parent it becomes noticeable somewhere between 15 months and two years.

So what does this have to do with cassein and gluten. There are double-blind studies which indicate some children do better on such a diet.

I like to think the experience has made me a better person. Before, when a developmentally-disabled child walked into a room I'd act like the kid was contagious.

|| Ian, I salute you and your wife's work, your open minds, and most of
all, your love and support of your daughter. I was presented with a healthy child for number one (slightly depressed immune system due to veganism, i believe) and number two, my son is anemic. That went away went I started letting him gobble the range-fed beef he adores. He's at 90% on the growth chart now. I sincerely and deeply hope that you and your wife continue to investigate all sorts of work around your daughter's autism....watch out for vaccines, research them **VERY** carefully...check into a (very very wacky) guy named
Aajonus Vonderplanitz...keep reading and learning. You guys are so far ahead of many other parents who would have been crippled by their daughter's challenge...your work is very admirable, and I have no doubt that it has changed you
for the better.

Author: Mohan, Ross
  INET: MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com