RE: Encrypting a password

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:27:10 -0700

When you say" store the encripted password in a table.." which table were you refering to? dba_users? I don't think that the encripted password such as 'EccNRiptIONB' for the password "quessit1" will encript to the same string in Oracle. You could update the dba_users table set the password to values "EccNRiptIONB" and attempt to log in. If you take the encripted Oracle password (16 characters) and place it in the /etc/shadow file it will not work. Unless things have changed the UNIX password encripted is longer that 16 characters. ROR mª¿ªm

>>> Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com 07/31/01 02:53PM >>>

Could you write an external procedure on the Sun box that

a) changes the password for the user with the passwd command;
b) retrieves the new password from the /etc/shadow file;
c) returns the encrypted password to the database for storing in an Oracle
table?

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.