RE: Largest Oracle Databases

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:14:14 -0700

Actually they don't . If release of such information would aid nations or groups hostile to the United States or its allies there is no requirement that it be released, nor should it be.

I don't know if the rumors of such databases are true. I suspect that they are, but I am dubious as to whether Oracle is supporting these databases . Perhaps it is not Oracle as we know it.

We use Objectivity, an object oriented database to store the event data from Babar. Babar is an experiment looking at a phenomenon known as charged particle (CP) violation. The physicists are trying figger why matter is favored over antimatter and by how much.

The amount of data which gets into Objectivity is between 200 and 250 terabytes a year. One problem is that the data for an interesting event is only a few tens of kilobytes and they are random. So finding shuch events online, on the redwood tape drives, in the silos etc is a major headache. We use HPSS, a hierarchical file system manager

We have batch farms of thousands of low cost UNIX boxes of various makes to process the data and use IBM's LSF for load balancing. We also have a Sun E10000 as well.

We are also working on the grid. You don't really know where your electricty came from this morning, should you care where you got your compute cycles or where the data is stored. That's the idea of the grid. A request may be made by SLAC which has data shipped from Japan's KEK to be worked on by computers with free compute cycles in Germany's DESY, and also by Britain's Rutherford Labs, and or Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and or CERN etc.

I have nothing to do the nitty-gritty of any of this, but just attend some of the talks. Oracle is used to store information about the experiments, but not of the event data itself. If some Lab does show that Oracle can be successfully used, I'll be right in the thick of it.

SuperBabar, if funded woild start in 2009 which means the technology to support an exabyte database will need to be arounbd by 2007.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu

Author: Joe Testa