RE: Encrypting a password

From: Christopher Spence <cspence_at_FuelSpot.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 08:58:19 -0700

Try looking into "PAM" under Unix. That should help.

Also, contact Collective Technologies. They are a consulting firm I interviewed for, but I know they were able to do single login to Windows 2000, Oracle, and Unix. I am sure they will be able to help out in such a task.

There solution was using Kerbeos and Pam.

"Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if
both are frozen."

Christopher R. Spence
Oracle DBA
Fuelspot

 Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:57:34 -0400
 Subject: RE: Encrypting a password

DBMS_OBFUSCATION package is exactly what you want.

I have build something like this with DBMS_OBFUSCATION although I did not compare against /etc/passwd.

I simply provided a "login" procedure, createKey, savePassword, retrievePassword.

I used a createKey function to create keys that were basically RAW(128) if I remember correctly, then I had password stored encrypted in the database, then another table with a FK to the user table which stored the key in encrypted form.

You would need to join the key table with the encrypted password to decrypt or cross exam.

Author: Christopher Spence
  INET: cspence_at_FuelSpot.com