OT RE: Largest Oracle Databases

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 08:29:27 -0700

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>"picobytes"? lol.....
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff

size=2>Attoboy!

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Jon Baker   [mailto:jcb_at_netsec.net]Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 10:56   AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: RE:   Largest Oracle Databases
  In theory, Oracle can handle 512 Picobytes (or roughly 512,000   Terabytes) for Oracle 8i.
  Have not heard if this has been increased for 9i.

  -----Original Message----- From:
  MacGregor, Ian A. [<A
  href="mailto:ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU">mailto:ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU]   Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 8:00 PM <FONT   size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT   size=2>Subject: Largest Oracle Databases   One of the smaller Physics projects, GLAST (Gamma-ray Large   Area Space Telescope) is looking at  storing their data in Oracle.    The bulk of thge data will be a sky map of individual photons, about 20   terabytes, acquired at a rate of about 1 TB a year.  What size is the   largest Oracle database at present?  I believe Oracle should be able to   handle this, but I'd like to know if anyone has approached this size.  I   hear rumors of Oracle databases of hundreds of  terabytes at the CIA, but   I have no way to confirm them.
  <FONT

  Offtopic
  I wrote a little while ago about CERN considering Oracle for   LHC project, and  needing a petabyte database.  It turns out that   the number was incorrect.  The petabyte that was tossed around a few   years ago would be for online and secondary storage only.  I don't know   their needs for tertiary storage, but our little project here , called Babar,   which is expected to store half a petabyte of data in online and nearline   storage  is sized to 300 petabytes when tertiary storage is   included.  The 0.5 petabytes for online and nearline will probably be   upped. If LHC has the same relationship between tertiary and    online/nearline storage, then they will need something which can handle about   600 petabytes.  Last week I attended a meeting on a project called   SuperBabar.  Data estimates of size  for that one are one   exabyte.  I'm sure there are others  in the works which will make   SuperBabar look tiny.  The mind boggles.   Babar is not in Oracle and I don't expect SuperBabar will be   either.
  Ian MacGregor Stanford Linear
  Accelerator Center ian_at_slac.stanford.edu