fyi - solving TNS-12500 on solaris server

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:30:24 -0700

A while ago I had posted a question vis-ŕ-vis the following error in our listener log for a Sun Solaris server that was used for development and running several Oracle versions (7.3.4 to 8.1.7, 32-bit and 64-bit)

TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
 TNS-12540: TNS:internal limit restriction exceeded
  TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
   TNS-00510: Internal limit restriction exceeded

The error re-appeared recently so I posted a question in a Metalink forum, and the support person dug up this document for me (I don't know why I didn't find it when I searched for "TNS-12500" and "listener")

Metalink note:121091.1

The error was caused by our 8.1 databases automatically registering with all the listeners running on the machine. So the 64-bit listener was being used for 32-bit databases and vice-versa. Adding a LOCAL_LISTENER parameter in the init.ora for each 8.0 and 8.1 database to make sure that 32-bit databases were handled by the 32-bit listener, and 64-bit databases by the 64-bit listener, eliminated the problem.

Of course, there are other factors that can cause the TNS-12500, but in our case, it was the listener/database mismatch.

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive