RE: bitmap indexes going wild

From: Mohammad Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:12:18 -0700

In my past assignment with AT&T Solutions, Oracle consulting designed their Customized Datawarehouse and used lot of bitmap indexes. However at data load time, they were dropping those indexes and recreate them after the load. Besides there was a problem with 7.3.4.0 with inserts on table with Bitmap Indexes which were growing without any limit so as a work around also, they were dropping before inserts and then recreating it.

MOHAMMAD RAFIQ Reply-To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:10:26 -0800

They way Oracle uses bitmap indexes, they are very poor performance when doing large writes, or data loads.
Oracle actually shys away from their use for OLTP environments.

Although bitmap indexes are very cool and can have very significant performance gains, you must be very careful with them, they do not perform as consistent as b-tree indexes and can sometimes pose performance problems due to their increased complexity on writes.

"Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if both are frozen."

Christopher R. Spence
Oracle DBA
Fuelspot

Author: Deshpande, Kirti