RE: NULL Foreign Key Value

From: George Hofilena <GHofilena_at_cnv.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:39:49 -0700

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. They were all very helpful but quite embarassing to a person like me who had been an Oracle Forms Developer before going into Database Admin and who had been with this technology since 7.0x.

It took one little reminder from Mr. Ault who had been one of the first to respond that this was basic ERD stuff to realize that my mind had taken on a different level ('fighting fires', new projects not necessarily DBA-related anymore). It was just now that I had the chance to get back to ERD because of a new conversion project that the application vendor itself doesn't want to handle because the version was too old for them. Call it a lapse please or Alzheimers setting in if you want. But the following deluge of examples made the saying 'Common sense is very uncommon' all too apparent. I guess I deserved this.

So as Oracle Support use to say, 'This thread is closed' :)

Thanks for all your help,

George

Author: George Hofilena
  INET: GHofilena_at_cnv.org