RE: what do I tune?

From: Horne, Joe <Joe.Horne_at_storagenetworks.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:15:16 -0700

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 1:22 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Gene:

It all depends on a couple of factors: (1) what are the average wait times for each of the wait events, (2) which one(s) have the highest wait times. I would ignore any waits less than 1 centisecond for the most part.

Buffer Busy Waits occur when a session is waiting for a buffer to become available. This is because a buffer is either being read into the buffer cache by another session (and the session is waiting for that read to complete) or the buffer is in the buffer cache, but in an incompatible mode(that is, some other session is changing the buffer). There are several courses of action here, depending on what type of block it is:

DB file sequential read waits indicate that either (a) an index lookup is being performed or (b) a controlfile is being rebuilt or (c) datafile headers are being dumped or retrieved. In your case, it's probably the first one.

Enqueue waits are waits for locks to be released. Taking care of those can be quite complex depending on the types of locks being held and those being requested and on what structures, etc.

Latch free waits are waits for another to release a latch on a given resource. The presence of latch free waits of any significant magnitude may indicate a bottleneck within the SGA.

It seems obvious that when you turned up the degree of parallelism on the query, the database as you currently have it set up could not handle the load. All these wait events would be consistent with that.

Hope this helps.

Jon Walthour

Messenger
>http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
>--
>--
>Author: Gene Gurevich
> INET: g_u_r_e_v_i_c_h_at_yahoo.com

>San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists
You may

Author: Jon Walthour
  INET: jonw_at_fuse.net