Re: Another Braindead Friday...

From: Scott Shafer <sknd100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:18:23 -0700

I thought about that. Unfortunately the business rules developed by non-Oracle-literate individuals specifically prohibit this. Each site has an unknown number of 3rd party tools which their users can use to connect with. Most regular lusers have access only to a "secure view" which constrains the data that they can see. I have invariably found several cartesian products when direct select permissions have been granted. Damagement wants anyone to be able to use any tools that make them happy (for the uninitiated - this is a bad idea for sensitive data).

Why you ask are they now wanting a select through another view (which may violate this prohibition anyway)?

You got me. The minds of beaurocrats are not for mere mortals to play in...
That and my creativity is at an all time low due to lack of sleep.

Thanks,

Scott

"Hillman, Alex" wrote:

> another user should have select privileges for underlying table directly,
> not thru the role.
>
> Alex Hillman

Do You Yahoo!?
Author: Scott Shafer