RE: Regression Testing at Oracle???

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:03:27 -0700

This seems to be standard practice any more... SIGH! But Oracle must be one of the worst offenders.

I once was looking to implement Oracle Financials as a "paying beta customer" (Shouldn't this be a contradiction in terms?). Oracle was the alpha and Sequent Computer in Oregon was the original beta (Oracle and Sequent had a pretty tight relationship back then). The Sequent implementation was on their own servers running "Dynix," a Unix derivative. Our implementation was to be a port to VAX/VMS. What a mess! Bug city and Oracle still wanted to charge us big bucks for beta software!! Oracle eventually dropped the VMS port and I believe the first commercial version of the Oracle Apps did not ship for another 2-3 years. I wonder, how many companies paid for Oracle's development costs?

Steve Orr

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com