ot: RE: Data load options vicodin

From: Koivu, Lisa <lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:00:27 -0700

A pain reliever (narcotic) that makes you really woozy sleepy and stupid. Lucky I'm not actually supporting a database.   I'm off the painkillers today, yesterday was bad . . .

From: Koivu, Lisa [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com] Sent: 25 July 01 15:26
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: RE: Data load options

Hi Sean,

Others have given you different options.  Here's some considerations:

1.  SQL Script.

Can be SLOW
May require intermittent commits in your script Manual and error prone
Must go through SQL engine

2.  SQL Loader

Can be very fast (direct - bypassing SQL engine). Direct path load will invalidate indexes. You can keep track of rejected records easily (.bad file) Dependent upon your file format being EXACT, no errors.

3.  Import

Requires minimal manual fiddling
Can be very slow - I once imported 150GB and it took ~3 days Does not seamlessly handle all object types (INtermedia (domain) indexes is one example) Restarting an import will take a lot longer.  If your import fails, be sure and truncate/drop all tables before starting again. Have the option of not including indexes (INDEXES=N) Can also reset your storage parms prior to import (export with data=n, edit file [SSSHHH] and enter new storage parms / import, export with data=y, import data with IGNORE=Y)

I'm sure others will have additional considerations to share.  My choice has always been exp/imp.

Lisa Koivu
The Vicodin-enhanced DBA
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Author: O'Neill, Sean
  INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists

This email and any attachments may be confidential and the subject of
legal professional privilege. Any disclosure, use, storage or copying
of this email without the consent of the sender is strictly prohibited.
Please notify the sender immediately if you are not the intended
recipient and then delete the email from your inbox and do not
disclose the contents to another person, use, copy or store the
information in any medium.