RE: Data load options

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:38:02 -0700

I will second Lisa's recommendations.

If you have much data, and/or will be doing this frequently, SQL*Loader is your friend. It is very fast.

I once worked with a duhveloper who could not be dissuaded from loading all data from SQL scripts. We're talking millions of rows here. A single 10 gigabyte SQL script of insert statements.

She single handedly brought our DW to it's knee's. It begged for mercy. There was none. Duhveloper was fired. :)

Jared

                    "Koivu, Lisa"

                    <lisa.koivu_at_efair       To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    field.com>              cc:

                    Sent by:                Subject:     RE: Data load options

                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    07/25/01 07:26 AM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Hi Sean,

Others have given you different options. Here's some considerations:

  1. SQL Script. Can be SLOW May require intermittent commits in your script Manual and error prone Must go through SQL engine
  2. SQL Loader Can be very fast (direct - bypassing SQL engine). Direct path load will invalidate indexes. You can keep track of rejected records easily (.bad file) Dependent upon your file format being EXACT, no errors.
  3. Import Requires minimal manual fiddling Can be very slow - I once imported 150GB and it took ~3 days Does not seamlessly handle all object types (INtermedia (domain) indexes is one example) Restarting an import will take a lot longer. If your import fails, be sure and truncate/drop all tables before starting again. Have the option of not including indexes (INDEXES=N) Can also reset your storage parms prior to import (export with data=n, edit file [SSSHHH] and enter new storage parms / import, export with data=y, import data with IGNORE=Y)

I'm sure others will have additional considerations to share. My choice has always been exp/imp.

Lisa Koivu
The Vicodin-enhanced DBA
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA