RE: Data load options

From: Robertson Lee - lerobe <lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:47:22 -0700

Cheers
John, I was on the verge of asking myself <SPAN
class=296302114-25072001>

<FONT face=Tahoma

  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Hallas John   [mailto:John.Hallas_at_btcellnet.net]Sent: 25 July 2001   15:57To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   RE: Data load options
  Go
  on  then Lisa, I rise to the challenge
<SPAN

  class=223105213-25072001>
  For
  us UK based listers what is Vicodin?
<SPAN

  class=223105213-25072001>
<SPAN

  class=223105213-25072001>John

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa     [mailto:lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com]Sent: 25 July 01     15:26To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:     RE: Data load options
    Hi Sean,
    Others have given you different
    options.  Here's some considerations:     1.  SQL Script.

      Can be SLOW
      May require intermittent commits
      in your script
      Manual and error prone
      Must go through SQL
      engine

    2.  SQL Loader
      Can be very fast (direct -
      bypassing SQL engine).
      Direct path load will invalidate
      You can keep track of rejected
      records easily (.bad file)
      Dependent upon your file format
      being EXACT, no errors.

    3.  Import
      Requires minimal manual
      fiddling
      Can be very slow - I once
      imported 150GB and it took ~3 days
      Does not seamlessly handle all
      object types (INtermedia (domain) indexes is one example)
      Restarting an import will take a
      lot longer.  If your import fails, be sure and truncate/drop all
      tables before starting again.
      Have the option of not including
      indexes (INDEXES=N)
      Can also reset your storage
      parms prior to import (export with data=n, edit file [SSSHHH] and enter
      new storage parms / import, export with data=y, import data with
      IGNORE=Y)

    I'm sure others will have
    additional considerations to share.  My choice has always been exp/imp.

    Lisa Koivu <FONT
    color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2>The Vicodin-enhanced DBA <FONT     color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2>Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

      -----Original Message----- <FONT
      face=Arial size=1>From:   <FONT face=Arial
      size=1>O'Neill, Sean [SMTP:Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie] <FONT
      face=Arial size=1>Sent:   <FONT face=Arial
      size=1>Wednesday, July 25, 2001 6:16 AM <FONT face=Arial
      size=1>To:     <FONT face=Arial
      size=1>Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT face=Arial
      size=1>Subject:        <FONT
      face=Arial size=1>Data load options
      I'm trying to compile a list of options for
      NT platform.  What I've come up with so far is: <FONT
      face=Arial size=2>[1] SQL script that performs inserts, updates.
      [2] SQL Loader utility <FONT
      face=Arial size=2>[3] Import utility
      Are there others? <FONT face=Arial
      size=2>Anyone care to share experience based opinions on pros and cons of
      the methods?
      Sean :)
      Rookie Data Base Administrator <FONT
      face=Arial size=2>[0%] OCP Oracle8i DBA <FONT face=Arial
      size=2>[0%] OCP Oracle9i DBA <FONT face=Arial
      size=2>-------------------------------- ------------ <FONT
      face=Arial size=2>Organon (Ireland) Ltd. <FONT face=Arial
      size=2>E-mail: sean.oneill_at_organon.ie   [subscribed: Digest
      Mode]
      Visit: <A
      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oracle-OCP-DBA"
      "Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could
      be jivin' too."  - BB King
      -- Please
      see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.com"
      target=_blank>http://www.orafaq.com <FONT face=Arial
      size=2>-- Author: O'Neill, Sean
        INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie

      Fat City Network Services    --
      (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 <FONT face=Arial
      size=2>San Diego, California        --
      Public Internet access / Mailing Lists <FONT face=Arial
      size=2>--------------------------------------------------------------------
      To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list,
      send an E-Mail message to:
      ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
      the message BODY, include a line containing:
      UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing
      list you want to be removed from).  You may <FONT
      face=Arial size=2>also send the HELP command for other information (like
      subscribing). <FONT
  email and any attachments may be confidential and the subject of legal   professional privilege. Any disclosure, use, storage or copying of this   email without the consent of the sender is strictly prohibited.Please   notify the sender immediately if you are not the intended recipient and   then delete the email from your inbox and do not disclose the contents to   another person, use, copy or store the information in any medium.

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system. Received on Wed Jul 25 2001 - 09:47:22 CDT