Re: Sun cluster vs Veritas cluster

From: KC <kchan_at_speednet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:36:09 -0700

Steve,

Thanks for your input, I had previously used HP Service Guard on HP-UX platform, it worked for us. I am now on Sun platform and looking at HA solution using either Sun or Veritas clustering solution, I also heard that the older version of Sun clustering is not very sophisticated compared to other clustering solution, are you using 2.x or the latest 3.0, from what I read on Sun web site, v3.0 seems to do a lot more than the old version, any comments from the list?? The other things I need to check is rather OPS is supported with Veritas Cluster on Sun platform, anyone know??
KC
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">

    -----Original Message-----From:
    Austin, Steve S <<A
    href="mailto:steve.s.austin_at_xo.com">steve.s.austin_at_xo.com>To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <<A     href="mailto:ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com">ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>Date:     Wednesday, July 25, 2001 5:31 AMSubject: RE: Sun cluster vs     Veritas cluster
    have used both and somewhat prefer VCS.  In both systems, we've had     problems where the cluster was in an unknown state and any action to change     the state was risky to all the services in the cluster.  This is rare     for both products.
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>Our Sun support required for us to pay them to certify our stuff     before they'd support the implementation.  Don't know if you're subject     to this too, but VCS has no such rule.  The tests were interesting, but     we could conduct the tests without their involvement.
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>Command-line jocks may at first prefer Sun, but I think Veritas is a     better bet since it's not as tied to the hardware vendor, and is more likely     to be common across Unixes, if you're in a site where you've got more than     one Unix vendor's stuff to support, like I am.
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>
    We
    are in the process of migrating from Sun cluster to VCS,     fyi.
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>
    my
    2¢
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>Steve

        <FONT face=Tahoma
        size=2>-----Original Message-----From: KC
        [mailto:kchan_at_speednet.com.au]Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001
        7:51 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list
        ORACLE-LSubject: Sun cluster vs Veritas
        cluster
        List,

        Just wondering if anyone on the list who
        had experience on both Sun clustering and Veritas clustering software
        share their experience on both products, strength and weakness or any
        comparison??

        <FONT face=Arial

size=2>KC Received on Tue Jul 24 2001 - 19:36:09 CDT