Re: Grouping records using decode

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:58:40 -0700

"Smith, Ron L." wrote:

> I have a table containing rows with date and time. I would like to combine
> rows based on the quarter hour. Rows in the first 15 minutes would be in
> the first group, the second fifteen minutes in the second, and so on. Does
> anyone know how to do this?
>
> Thanks!
> Ron
> --

Misleading topic: you are suggesting a solution which is not the good one. Why do you want a decode() ?

      select trunc((a.date_value - b.min_date) * 14400 / 15), <group function>

      from your_table a,
           (select min(date_value) min_date
            from your_table) b
      where ..
      group by trunc((a.date_value - b.min_date) * 14400 / 15)
--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Corporation