Re: system switch off

From: Mohammad Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:17:49 -0700

Just add something, I am using following script to track SPID of such processes and kill them using kill -9 SPID. Sometime it releases oracle session immediately or take a while for rollback. Any how to make sure at sql level , same may be killed at sql level using relevant sid, serial....

set linesize 120
select substr(vs.username,1,10)username,

       vs.osuser,
       vs.sid,
       vs.serial#,
       vs.LOGON_TIME,
       substr(vs.machine,1,15)machine,
       vs.process,
       vp.spid,
       vs.last_call_et

from v$session vs, v$process vp
where vs.paddr = vp.addr
and vs.username is not null
and vs.status = 'ACTIVE';

May help someone

Regards
MOHAMMAD RAFIQ Reply-To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:30:59 -0800

Depends. Is your server an NT box or UNIX? Your sessions are dead (you cannot reconnect to them), but in an NT box there are no separate processes. On a UNIX box the processes associated with your sessions will remain. Our developers used to go home at the end of the day and just turn off their client boxes without logging out of Oracle. In a 24x7 UNIX environment, eventually these ghost processes will cause problems with semaphores (something about "cannot fork"). It was a long time ago (in a galaxy far away) but I'll bet someone here can tell you how to use PIDs and SPIDs to track down the offending processes and kill them.

                     prasad
                     maganti              To:     Multiple recipients of
list ORACLE-L
                     <prasadm_g_at_ya        <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                     hoo.com>             cc:
                     Sent by:             Subject:     system switch off
                     root_at_fatcity.
                     com

                     07/24/2001
                     11:16 AM
                     Please
                     respond to
                     ORACLE-L

hi dba's

my pc was connected to a remote oracle server.

i logged into sql*plus as scott/tiger.

suddently the power has gone.

can anybody tell me what happens to my sessions,

will they still exist in the server, or killed by any process,

or

pmon cleans everything concern to session.

thanx in adv.

prasad

Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Author: prasad maganti

   INET: prasadm_g_at_yahoo.com

   INET: tday6_at_csc.com

Author: Mohammad Rafiq
  INET: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jul 24 2001 - 13:17:49 CDT